- An Other Kind of Home: Gender-Sexual Abjection, Subjectivity, and the Uncanny in Literature and Film. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2015. 181 pp. (R)
- Gender and Sexuality in East German Film: Intimacy and Alienation. Co-ed. with Faye Stewart. Rochester, NY: Camden House, forthcoming in 2018. (R)
- Classical Music in the German Democratic Republic: Production and Reception. Co-Ed. with Larson Powell. Rochester, NY: Camden House, 2015. (R)
- Reviewed in Journal of European Studies 46.2 (2016): 198-200; Women in German Newsletter 127 (Summer 2016): 23-24; Music and Letters 97.2 (2016): 364-366; American Record Guide 79.2 (2016): 237; Monatshefte 109.2 (2017): 332-334.
- From Weimar to Christiania: German and Scandinavian Studies in Context. Co-Ed. with Florence Feiereisen. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2007.
- “Based on a True Story: Tracking What’s Queer about German Queer Documentary.” Edinburgh German Yearbook 10 (2018), forthcoming. (R)
- “The Reality of the Body: Transgender, Transsexuality, and Truth in Romeos.” Colloquia Germanica 46.1 (2015): 64-87. (R)
- “Coming Out of the Iron Closet: Contradiction in East German Gay History and Film.” Glossen 37 (2013). (R)
- “The Curious Case of the Turkish Drag Queen: Film and Social Justice Education in Advanced German.” Neues Curriculum (August 2012). (R)
- “Something Old, Something New: Canon Rejuvenation in German Studies.” Die Unterrichtspraxis / Teaching German 44.2 (2011): 124-32. doi: 10.1111/j.1756-1221.2011.00102.x (R)
- “Shame and Love: East German Homosexuality Goes to the Movies.” In Gender and Sexuality in East German Film: Intimacy and Alienation. Eds. Kyle Frackman and Faye Stewart. Rochester, NY: Camden House, forthcoming. (R)
- — and Faye Stewart. “Introduction: Sex and Socialism in East German Cinema.” In Gender and Sexuality in East German Film: Intimacy and Alienation. Eds. Kyle Frackman and Faye Stewart. Rochester, NY: Camden House, forthcoming. (R)
- “Girls in Uniform in the Context of German Education and Boarding School Fiction.” In Reconsidering Girls in Uniform: Media, Texts, and Contexts, 1930-2013. Eds. Gaby Pailer, Franziska Schößler, and Ilinca Iurascu. Hannover: Wehrhahn Verlag. Forthcoming. (R)
- — and Larson Powell. “Music and Heritage in the German Democratic Republic.” In Classical Music in the German Democratic Republic: Production and Reception. Eds. Kyle Frackman and Larson Powell. Rochester, NY: Camden House, 2015. 1-19. (R)
- “Vor Ort: The Functions and Early Roots of German Regional Crime Fiction.” Tatort Germany: The Strange Case of German Crime Fiction. Eds. Todd Herzog and Lynn Marie Kutch. Rochester, NY: Camden House, 2014. 23-40. (R)
- “Out of Time: ‘Allotemporality’ in Pierre Sanoussi-Bliss’s Zurück auf los.” queere (t)ex(t)perimente. Ed. Franziska Bergmann, Jennifer Moos, and Claudia Münzing. Freiburg: fwpf-Verlag, 2008. (R)
- Feiereisen, Florence, and Kyle Frackman. Introduction. In From Weimar to Christiania: German and Scandinavian Studies in Context. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2007. 1-5.
- Entries on “Swedish-Speakers in Finland,” “Einojuhani Rautavaara,” “Nobel Peace Prize,” and “Folk High Schools” in Encyclopedia of Contemporary Scandinavian Culture. Eds. Helena Forsås-Scott, Mary Hilson, and Titus Hjelm. London: Hurst & Co. (submitted)
- Entries on “Lola und Bilidikid” and “Zurück auf los” in The Directory of World Cinema: Germany. Ed. Michelle Langford. Bristol: Intellect Books, 2012. 192-93, 196-97.
- “Finland, Civil War, and Revolution, 1914-1918.” International Encyclopedia of Revolution and Protest: 1500 to the Present. Ed. Immanuel Ness. NY: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009. 1200-02. (R)
- Entries on “German Literature,” “Magnus Hirschfeld,” and “Richard von Krafft-Ebing” in The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Love, Courtship, and Sexuality through History: The Nineteenth Century. Vol. 5. Ed. Susan Mumm. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2008. 138-42, 111-13, 130-32.
- “Nordic Non-Fiction Summer Reading Guide.” Viking Magazine June 2015: 21. Print.
- “A Genius of Our Own: The GDR and DEFA’s Beethovens.” A Beethoven Duet. DVD released by the DEFA Film Library. 2014. 12 pp.
- Jampol, Justinian, ed. Beyond the Wall: Art and Artifacts from the GDR. NY: Taschen, 2014. In Seminar: Journal of Germanic Studies 53.3 (2017): 305-307.
- “To be gay in 1950s Zurich.” kultur360. 27 May 2016. Original available at http://www.kultur360.com/to-be-gay-in-1950s-zurich/.
- Mueller, Gabriele, and James M. Skidmore, eds. Cinema and Social Change in Germany and Austria. Waterloo, ON: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2012. In German Studies Review 37.1 (2014): 243-46.
- Blawid, Martin. Von Kraftmenschen und Schwächlingen: Literarische Männlichkeitsentwürfe bei Lessing, Goethe, Schiller und Mozart. Berlin: De Gruyter, 2011. In Monatshefte 104.3 (2012): 428-30.
- Krimmer, Elisabeth, and Patricia Anne Simpson, eds. Enlightened War: German Theories and Cultures of Warfare from Frederick the Great to Clausewitz. Rochester: Camden House, 2011. In Women in German Newsletter 120 (2012). Web.
- Schulte, Hans and Gerard Chapple, eds. Shadows of the Past: Austrian Literature of the Twentieth Century. NY: Peter Lang, 2009. In German Quarterly 83.4 (2010).
- Beiser, Frederick C., ed. The Cambridge Companion to Hegel and Nineteenth-Century Philosophy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008. In German Studies Review 33.2 (2010).
- Freydberg, Bernard. Schelling’s Dialogical Freedom Essay: Provocative Philosophy Then and Now. Albany: State University of New York Press, 2008. In German Studies Review 33.2 (2010).
- Jones, Michael, and Kenneth R. Olwig, eds. Nordic Landscapes: Region and Belonging on the Northern Edge of Europe. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2008. In Scandinavian-Canadian Studies 18 (2009): 120-23.
- Mennel, Barbara. The Representation of Masochism and Queer Desire in Film and Literature. NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007. In Women in German Newsletter 108 (2008).
- Campt, Tina. Other Germans: Black Germans and the Politics of Race, Gender, and Memory in the Third Reich. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2004. In gender forum 18 (2007).
- Pomerance, Murray, and Frances Gateward, eds. Where the Boys Are: Cinemas of Masculinity and Youth. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 2005. In gender forum 17 (2007).
Media Features or Profiles
- Germany@Canada 2017, Goethe-Institut. “British Columbia Through Arriving Eyes.” 9 May 2017.
- Arts on Air. CITR. Nov. 26, 2015.
- KPRI Radio. Nov. 7, 2014. Discussion of the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
- UBC News. “Casting a Long Shadow.” Oct. 27, 2014.
- Press kit accolade/review for film release of Out in East Berlin – Lesbians and Gays in the GDR. Nancy Fishman Film Releasing.
- “Faculty Spotlight: Professor Kyle Frackman.” The Scribe (College of Humanities & Fine Arts Advising Center Newsletter). Dec. 8, 2011. (PDF)
- “Class explores witches’ history.” Springfield Republican Oct. 31, 2011. (PDF)
- “Nightmarish Fantasy and Gruesome History: ‘Witches’ Class Examines Folklore and Fact.” In the Classroom, Amherst College. Oct. 28, 2011.
- “UMass Amherst: Frackman and Arndt-Briggs take part in German exchange.” University of Massachusetts International Relations. July 28, 2010.
- “UMass takes part in a German language immersion program.” Daily Collegian. Oct. 5, 2009.
(R) throughout refers to peer-reviewed publications